Tuesday, February 8, 2022

ODE TO MY MIND

 


          

                                               

  1.    How oft should I admonish you, Oh Mind!

         With you, I do not wish to be unkind;

         Though to my warnings you turned blind

          Oft crossing the limits meant for good

          You raged like a beast out of mood.


2.       How oft I warned you like a friend

          You rashly frowned, your ways you did not mend;

          With sense of defeat, you filled your heart

          And made others too sad for want of thought;

          In easy snare of pleasures, you were caught.


3.       What use your knowledge and wit I say

           You made your life a sordid play

           Of vicious thoughts and went astray;

           No ideals you have kept, a sheer pell-mell   

           No system, no rules, a confounded hell.


4.         A creature of chance in jig-jag ways

            You spent your fleeting days in idle ways

            Your words mismatched with your deeds

             A stagnant pool of idle creeds;

            While idle thoughts grow rapid like weeds.


5.         Of moral ways and goals so much you raved

            And yet to fleeting pleasures yourself enslaved;

            A road to hell with good intentions paved

            No more can I stand thy ways and wait

            I have to check thy ways and set you right.

 

6.         No more can I let loose thy senses free

            No more can I allow thy flippant spree

            Guided by reason you should strive

             In fickle ways you cannot thrive

             Listen to me; your hopes revive.


7.         Vain arguments lead you nowhere

            No reckless freedom can I spare;

            The yoke of morals you have to bear

            No tearful appeals, no pleading looks

            No clever allusions from learned books.


8.         No noble feelings you felt within

            In vain illusions do you spin;

            No feel of repentance or sin;

            No service motive for mankind

            In trivial worries yourself grind.

 

9.        Oh, Mind! Be calm like a bird in cage

            A beast deprived of furious rage

            Listen to me: my advice sage

            Haste not; be not a passion’s thrall

            Be wise and patient; act for good of all.


10.       Cool down, my mind, listen to noble call

            Find peace in helpful acts, though small

            You need not crave for ideals tall

            Please act with earnest faith in God

            He will guide you- no more discord.


                    ********************


     8th February, 2022                       Somaseshu Gutala

 

 

 

            

No comments:

Post a Comment