Monday, February 28, 2022

An Epistle to his Friend

                    


 

    Dear Friend! Which muse shall I invoke

    To praise your magnanimous acts? A stroke

    Of luck it seems for me to have in you

    A helping, noble-minded soul: in you

    A humane understanding do I find

    Unasked you blest me with your favour kind;

    Like the radiant sun which warms us all

    And breathes vital life without our call;

    Like the rain that pours itself from skies

    To water our fields and touches us with love

    Like God-sent benediction from above;

    Like the fruit-trees and flower-laden bush

    Like the cool moon in cloudy silver hush;

    A noble trait of God, to help unasked, I know;

    In you I find with gratitude I bow;

   How oft we see men with supreme intellect keen?

   How oft we see shrewd statesmen with jealousy green?

   And yet they lack the sincere spirit to feel

   The pulse of people and work for their weal;

   Your fluent speech on various occasions I hear

   Your wide horizons of knowledge I cheer;

   Your fond memories of old friends commend

   Your timely assistance to me a god-send;

   Reminds me of Krishna’s love and noble act

   Of blessing his friend with wealth, unsought;

   May God with all His might and mercy bless

   Thee as you did to me to ease my stress;

   May God bestow real peace and prosperity

   In all your walks of life with amity;

  This humble soul’s weak poetic greeting, may

  Please accept with a friendly smile, I pray.


           
**************************

   28th February, 2022                     Somaseshu Gutala 

 

 

  

 

        

No comments:

Post a Comment