Saturday, December 19, 2020

THE TALE OF SUDAMA

 
















           I felt too happy to see my dearest mate

           Ruling Dwaraka like the lord of heavenly gods

           His royal splendor and pomp I never imagined

           Who once did move with me like a rustic lad

           Who would believe that I, a poor begging Brahmin

           Had the fortune of making friends with him?

           Those happy bygone times I never forget

           When I had moved with Krishna in the forest retreat

           Of sage Sandeepan great to learn the Vedic lore;

           He never displayed his royal pride and power

           He moved with ease regaling all inmates

           Playing on his flute enchanting melodies;

           None thought about his mysterious powers

           Neither did he flaunt or brag glorious feats;

           But ever remained a playful friendly companion to all;

          While we struggled with precise tones of Vedic hymns 

          He mastered effortlessly whatever he heard

          As if he knew already all by heart;

          We gaped with wonder at his erudition and wisdom vast

          Whatever he did no trace of strain or stress was seen

          Everything he did in a sportive way performing best

          In his ever- cheerful countenance, I found

         A mystic attraction with fascinating eyes

         His dusky complexion beamed like sapphire

         His lovely figure in all joy and love inspire

        Surely something divine in him concealed

        Though simple and innocent he did act and speak

        Though some ill-speak of him as a juggling lad;

       Can a small child suck out the life of a demoness

       Who tried to kill him with her poisoned milk?

        Can a small child break the gigantic flying wheel?

        Can a small child slay the wild demon-horse

        That gaped his jaws to devour and kick him down?

        Can a small child burst open the monstrous python’s guts

        And free his captured cowherd friends and cattle alive?

        Can a small child kill a charging bull with menacing horns

        With threatening red eyes to gore all kids? 

        Can a small child break open the monstrous stork

        Rushing with wide open beak spitting fire?

        Can a small child swallow the raging forest fire

       To save his cattle and mates shouting for help?        

        Can a small child unfold the cosmic wonders

        Within his mouth while his mother stood dazed with surprise?

        Can a small child uplift the lofty mountain on his finger

         Just like a ball and stand steadfast for seven days

         For his people to seek refuge with their kids and cows

         And subjugate Indra’s vain wounded pride?

         Can a small child dance with tiny feet on poisonous hoods

         Of a mighty serpent and drive him out of the village pond

        To save his people and cattle from its poisonous breath?

        Can a small child assume the forms of all his friends and cattle

        For one full year and gladden the hearts of parents

        At Gokul when Lord Brahma kidnapped all creatures

        And hid them in a cave to show off his divine

        Supremacy, but felt humbled by the tiny tot?

        How Krishna dived into the river at once

        And brought back to life our teacher’s son

        Drowned long ago from struck by cruel fate!

        Dire death himself humbly cringed before him

        And gave back the child alive as in a dream;

       The most precious gift who can give but he

       Who can transcend both life and death? 

       Surely my friend God in human form I trust

       Blessed are Gopis who shared with him all they possess

       And tasted bliss supreme in his presence;

       Blessed is Brindavan where Krishna danced with them;

      With every maid manifesting in various forms;

      Blessed are the waters of Yamuna where Krishna swam;

      Blessed are the birds, cattle, hills and trees

      That felt the touch of Krishna’s lotus feet;

      No wonder to know that Nanda’s dearest friend

      Rolled with mad ecstasy shedding tears of joy

      On foot-prints of Krishna on Yamuna’s sands;

      And yet my friend tricks me to treat him

      Like a human being with playful innocent looks;

      How foolish I was when I went with my friend to get

      Tall kusha grass for our preceptor great

     When I bluffed saying my teeth chattered in wintry night

     While munching peas in stealth to quench my hunger

     Letting my friend alone to starve with hunger!

     I hang my head in shame for lying even to God;

     He with whom I did chat in casual ways

     Ignorant of his form resplendent and divine

      Now shines like radiant sun of Yadav clan

     Lord of Dwaraka, the richest island in western seas

     Honoured by all, including gods, sages and saints;

     While I, a Brahmin poor with a family large

     Wander from door to door to earn my daily bread

     To feed my kids burning with hunger

     Though I care for my household gods and daily rituals

     Offering ablutions to sun and sacred fire;

     Never can I forget Krishna’s beautiful form

     He shines like a moving cloud crowned with rainbow tints

     Beaming with gems and dressed in yellow silken robes;

     Arousing in every heart pure devotion and joy

     Pure spiritual bliss and love incarnate

     His form ever resides within my bosom

     Never thought of visiting his royal palace

    Though oft compelled by my spouse to seek his help

    At least to save my starving children;

    Besides who would believe a beggar like me

   With shabby beard and torn dress

   A friend of Krishna whom three worlds obey

   The guards would mock at me as a man insane

   Laughing at my entreaties vain;

  Abject sense of shame and fear darkened my brow

  As I approached with fluttering heart the royal gate

  No worthy gift I had but a knot of stale beaten rice;

  As if by grace of God, my friend himself came out

  Seeing my face-- with arms outstretched smiling with joy

  Hugged this poor Brahmin’s emaciated form;

  He led me warmly clasping through royal corridors

  Decked with paintings and marble sculptures carved

  To the royal chamber where his spouses dwelt;

  My mind felt dizzy with unbelievable delight 

  He offered his best throne for me to sit at ease

  As he with his chief royal queen washed my feet

  With sandal-scented water spouting through silver vase

  And honoured me with garlands and silken upper cloth

  Offered me syrups to quench my thirst and weariness;

 As his spouses waved cool breeze with pea-cock feathered fans;

 Dumbfounded did I stare as if I had a dream too far

 Above my status; while Krishna recounted his student days

 Fondly recounting the happy times we spent;

Of witty incidents and pranks we played

No change did I perceive in him and his talk;

The royal status and power did not vitiate

 His noble nature and simple, friendly manners ;

With jovial looks he asked me what gift I had brought

As I did shrink with shame as to what to reveal

He searched and searched till he did see

And untied the knot of my upper cloth

As I stood shuddering with fear and utter shame;

He hugged me for my poor gift and thanked me a lot

Munching with great relish a handful of beaten rice

While his queens stared with wonder and confounded looks;

His selfless, pure love immersed me in bliss

Krishna’s overwhelming love more precious than heaven

I did forget my task for which I came

Nothing I wished, nothing I required

Absorbed in Krishna’s thoughts forgot myself

Thanking him profuse, his palace reluctant I left;

Unwilling to miss his gracious form benign;

Like a soul leaving the gates of paradise;

And sinking back to gloomy abyss mired in poverty;

But, lo! My humble hut nowhere I saw

And there a golden mansion fit for princes to dwell

I mused whether I lost my way or reached wrong abode

My spouse and children dressed in cosy silken robes

Hailed me as I stood confused with wonder

Shocked and dazed I stood motionless and mute;

No words I found to thank my kindest lord

Who showered heavenly affluence unsought

On me a worthless begging Brahmin poor;

Nothing more I desire, Lord of three worlds!

Let me dedicate my life to Thee

Musing on thy lotus feet and holy name

My whole body thrills to think of thy sweetest form.

                              *********************

   20th December, 2020                                   Somaseshu Gutala


Note:

Lord Sri Krishna and Sudama studied in Sage Sandeepan’s ashram near Avanti.  It is said that Krishna and Bal Ram stayed here for 64 days to learn 64 vidyas . As a boy Krishna faced many dangers from his uncle Kamsa, Madura’s ruler. He sent many demons and tried to kill him. Krishna killed many demons like Putana, Shakatasura, Aghasura, Keshi and Bakasura etc. Even he subjugated the arrogance of Lord Indra by saving his people from the wrath of Indra by lifting a hill called Goverdhan. He taught a moral lesson to Brahma who prided himself as the creator of the universe by assuming the forms of cattle and gopas when Brahma kidnapped all cattle and gopas and hid them in a cave for one whole year.

 When all his schemes failed, Kamsa sent his counsellor, Akrura to invite Krishna and Balaram to a sacrifice (Dhanur Yagam) conducted by him. After killing Kamsa and installing Kamsa’a father Ugrasena as the king of Madhura, Krishna set free his parents, Devaki and Vasudeva from the prison. Later as per tradition he went to Sandeepan’s Ashram with his brother to learn Vedas and other shastras. After completing his studies, he shifted from Madhura to Dwaraka to save his people from the Magadha ruler Jarasandh who invaded Yadava kingdom seventeen times. There he ruled Yadava clan along with his brother, with the fabulous city of Dwaraka as capital which was constructed by Vishwakarma in a short span of only two days. Sudama well-known as Kuchela for his shabby appearance and torn clothes, led a life of poverty burdened with a large family. His wife, Susheela, a good housewife urged Sudama to go and meet his boyhood friend, Krishna and beg him for help to feed his starving family. Sudama, after many entreaties, reluctantly left for Dwaraka doubting whether Krishna would recognize him who was so poor that he could not carry a worthy gift for his friend. But to his utter astonishment and surprise he was well-received with royal honours and was showered with warmest affection and respect. Though poor, Sudama was rewarded for his intense devotion and selfless dedication to God.

 The episode of Sudama reveals the selfless devotion and Sakhya Bhakti (treating God as one’s closest friend) and asking for no favours from God. In return this story also reveals Krishna’s noblest example of a friend who treated him with utmost respect and affection without considering his status and position. Though Sudama had not asked him for any help, he generously gave him royal luxuries and immense wealth.  God’s boundless mercy and compassion are seen in this episode. This episode is the best example of an ideal friendship unparalleled and unprecedented and nowhere found in any age and place.  

 

    1.  Sudama--- Classmate of Krishna at the Gurukul of Sandeepan.

    2.  Kamsa --   King and uncle of Madhura of Vrishni clan.

    3. Putana—a demoness sent by Kamsa to breastfeed Krishna with poisoned milk. Krishna sucked out her life and killed her. Putana represnts enormous human ignorance which was purified by the touch of God.     

 4. Wheel-demon – Shakatasura, a demon who hid behind the cart to kill Krishna. He lifted child high into the air, Krishna increased his weight and and broke the back of the flying demon. He represents the burden of past and present evil tendencies and attachments accumulated by human being. 

 5.    Bull-demon – Kamsa sent Arishtasura  as a bull to kill Krishna. Krishna caught the bull by horns and killed the wild demon by swirling him in the air and dashing            him to the ground. He represents disregard for religion and cheating mind.

  6.  Keshi, the horse-demon – Sent by Kamsa, Keshi opened his mouth and tried to attack Krishna. Krishna caught his two legs and threw him to a great distance.When he opened his mouth Krishna thrust his arm into Keshi’s mouth and Keshi was choked to death. Keshi represents false pride and egoism.

7. Aghasura – elder brother of Putana and Bakasura. Aghasura assumed the form of an eight mile - long serpent. The gopas entered the mouth of the serpent mistaking it to be a cave. Krishna entered into Aghasura’s stomach and enlarged his size to such an extent that Aghasura struggled for breath and his body burst open resulting in death.  Aghasura represents cruelty and violence.

8. Bakasura – A demon sent by Kamsa. Assuming the form of a big stork he swallowed  Krishna. But forced by the intense heat he disgorged Krishna. The Lord grabbed Bakasura’s beak and split it into two killing him on the spot. Bakasura represents deceipt and wickedness.

9. Kaliya – A giant serpent who occupied the waters of the Kalindi river by force and turned the pond into a dangerous place by its poisonous breath. To protect gopas, Krishna jumped into the river and danced on its hoods till the giant serpent felt repentant and was willing to leave the pond along with its family to stay in Ramanaka Dweepa. The multi-hooded Kaliya represents numerous desires and egoistic pride.

10. Nanda’s friend – refers to Akrura, son of Swaphalka of Vrishni clan and was the chief counsellor of Kamsa. He was an uncle of Krishna and was sent by Kamsa to invite Krishna and Bala Ram to Madhura.  He is one of the noble devotees of Krishna.

                          ######################################

 

 

  

 

 

 

 

 

 





















1 comment:

  1. Very amusing, as all krishna's tales appear alongside sudama's devotion. Great job, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete