Monday, September 14, 2026

Too Many DON’TS

                 

                                      

                               

                 “Please don’t go out

                   You will fall out;

                   You are too old

                   You will catch cold;

                   Don’t eat too much sweets and bread

                  “Diabetic you are”, the doctor said.

                   Don’t too much read

                   Your eyes hurt, please heed;

                   Neither should you write

                   It affects your eyesight;

                  Too long you should not sit

                  Move your limbs; walk a bit; 

                  Don’t watch T.V. long

                  You are too weak, not strong;

                  Don’t think and strain

                  Your weak, old brain.” 

                           ( I I )

              “What am I supposed to do?

                Sit like a sloth-bear in the zoo?

                Shall I sit like lifeless scum?

                Doing nothing like a bum?

                Don’t show me too much care

                A little freedom for me you spare

                I am not old Father William brisk

               My health I should not risk

               My feelings let me express

               To sit like a statue—no sense;

               Let me do whatever I please

               Let me be free and live with ease.

                   *****************

     14th September 2026                        Somaseshu Gutala

 Ref: Old father William Brisk-- In the poem" You are old, Father William" by Lewis Carrol (1865), the old man was questioned about the secret of his maintaing robust health in old age. Father William answers in a funny way and concludes with a retort saying "Do you think I can listen all day to such stuff?/  Be off, or I'll kick you downstairs."

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment