Tuesday, August 18, 2026

DANCING SIGNATURES

                    

                           

            Whenever I sign, I am in a fix

            My fingers move random beyond my control

            They assert their freedom once I put

            My pen on paper when they move jig jag

            To draw a hieroglyph or a Chinese design;

            Here comes the rub; I have to prove

            My credentials; they take my specimen sign

            But no guarantee I vouch next time;

            My fingers dance their way again;

            They obey not of what I say

            Like belligerent cattle they go astray;

           Some look like crooked curves like slithering snakes

           And some with rugged ridges look like jagged hills

           Some shake like shivering old men in cold;

           The clerk's face turned a big, queer question mark

           As if to mean,"is there any sense?

          Yes-every time a new creative twist

          Looks like an unpredictable unending list.

          My problem is to fix my sign

          A futile attempt I feel; just like in olden times

         Better to use a seal or smudge my finger print

         To get rid of this never-ending crisis.

                      *****************

                18th August 2026                   Somaseshu Gutala

   Note :

 A humorous sketch of the prdicament faced by elders at offices and banks  as their manner of signature does not match and varies from time to time due to their age factor.

  1. Hieroglyohs : Pictorial script with various symbols used by Egyptians 

 on temple walls, tombs and mobuments to record their history.

 2.  Chinese designs : Intericate pictorial script with dots, horizontal and 

  vertical lines, hooks and block-like symbols.

 3.  Family seals ; During Elizabthan times illierate people used rings with a unique symbol or a small hand stamp pressed into hot beeswax to sign a document which was recognised as their legal signature.

                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment