Friday, March 15, 2024

Reflections of a middle-class husband

       


                         


                                      

            

         1.    How soon we crossed swift years upon the seas

Of time; I can’t believe, yet what

We got, you may question, but nought;

A routine cyclic round, no splendid breeze

Of victory rippled our stagnant rhythm of life;

We lived as others do as husband and wife.

 

2.    We got good help but not in a state to give

No rosy moments we had, but calmy live

In casual ways sans closer ties;

No events made us sane and wise;

The seas of fate, uncertain and too cold

As deep may be your mind, I can’t behold;

Our duties goaded us to run round the clock

No poetic lilt we felt, no thrilling shock.

 

3.    So many years passed—we rolled like balls

Playing too cautious to break our walls;

Unaware of our goals, we plied on our ways

Unmindful of dreary prospective days;

We kept within our bounds too discreet to break

A compromising deal—no risk or stake. 

 

4.    Our tastes do differ, but our duties link

No lusty greed spurred you; no brink

Of ambition fired my heart; I took

Whatever came with easy look

Reposing faith in the grace of God;

Through ups and downs we patiently trod.

My eager earnings scarcely enough for needs

With rising prices our purses are bound to bleed.

Your careful ways helped me--much I admire

Within our limits we curbed our dreams and desires.

 

5.    In compromising ways, we moved with ease

My life, a leaf whirled round by chancy breeze;

I pray for doing my share of mine by just

Means aided by God and not a burden curst;

I wish thee brighter moments of bliss

Tempered with moral strength and peace.

 

6.    No rolling flood of wealth and joy I share

With thee; a simple soul what can I spare?

No bragging pomp of luxuries I shower

No mansioned magnificence, beyond my power;

Let us maintain our relations with hope and cheer;

Let us live in peace with a conscience clear;

No use of blaming fate for what we got

As middle-class people let us accept our lot;

What more can I promise? No rosy dreams

Smile thy way through, cheer up, no raging screams.

    ***********************************

15th March, 2024               Somaseshu Gutala

Note: The predicament in a middle-class family is shown. The wide gap between aspirations and reality is described. Of course, the positive aspect is adjustment and mutual understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment