Tuesday, February 12, 2019

MARY MAGDALENE




                     



                 
                           My proud riches gave me no respite, Lord!    
   
                           My growing sins chased me like demons

                           Like a helpless victim in the wilderness

                           While these elders judge me with inhuman laws

                           Unaware of the lurking devils within their hearts

                           You saved me with boundless mercy unsought

                            Putting the judges to shame with blazing words

                            Of truth disarming them to flee at once

                            What made thee show pity to a selfish soul?
  
                            A whore that never did a bit of service

                            My streaming penitent tears wash thy tender feet

                            As My disheveled hair wipes them with pious touch

                            Let me anoint thee with richest perfume

                            Let me be a temple to shrine Thee, Rabboni.

                                     ++++++++++++++++++++++++++

            
                      13th February, 2019                    Somaseshu Gutala

Reference :

           1) My growing sins chased me --- a reference to Jesus’ act of driving out seven demons from Mary Magdalene.

         2)  While these elders – in the Gospel of John (7:53—8:11) a group of Pharisees and scribes bring a woman accusing of her adultery and ask Jesus how she should be punished. Jesus said that the one who is without sin should cast the first stone. The accusers left the place as all of them are sinners. Jesus said to the woman “, neither will I condemn you: go and sin no more.”

         3)     According to John’s Gospel (12:1—8) Mary poured an expensive oil on Jesus’ feet, wiped his feet with her hair when Jesus was in Bethany.

         4)     Rabboni -- An Aramaic word which means “my great master’. Mary Magdalene addressed Jesus in this way when she saw Jesus saw him in divine form near the place of burial. When she tried to touch him, Jesus said ,” Touch me not; for for I am not yet ascended to my Father; but go to my brethren and say unto them, I ascend unto my father and your father, and to my God, and your God."(John 20:15-17) .

  
     Note :  Mary Magdalene was a Jewish woman from Magadala, a fishing village on the shore of the sea of Galilee. She was a disciple of Jesus and moved with him to various places. As a wealthy woman she helped Jesus during his preaching tours. She was present at the time of his crucifixion, his burial and at the time of his resurrection. She was the first person to see Jesus after his resurrection. When Jesus was dining with a Pharisee, she brought an alabaster jar containing precious ointment. She washed his feet with her tears and wiped with her hair and anointed his feet. When other disciples questioned why she was wasting such a precious ointment Jesus replied “, Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me. The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me. When she poured this perfume on my body, she did it prepare me for my burial. Truly, I tell you, wherever this gospel is preached throughout this world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her.” Some say that this woman was another woman, Mary of Bethany. (Mark 14:3—9). Pope Gregory (Medieval western Christianity) projected Mary Magdalene as a composite personality combining Mary of Bethany and the sinful woman mentioned by Luke (7:36—50) with Mary Magdalene. But the eastern Christianity and some Protestant traditions considered Mary of Bethany and Mary Magdalene as separate people. Whatever be the case Mary Magdalene is considered as an ideal of sincere repentance and selfless devotion to Lord Jesus and she was the first witness to Lord’s resurrection after crucifixion. The feast of Mary Magdalene is held on 22nd July, every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment