Monday, February 13, 2017

THE TENDER MUSE



Toru Dutt (1856--1877)
                       

                   
                                                   
                            When I beheld thy pretty gems of verse

                        I lived in gorgeous legends of past;

                        I caught that pulse, my soul immerst

                        In lines so few, a panorama vast;

                        When I heard of thy sweet memories sad

                        My soul trembled, bemoaned thy loss ;

                        Thy writings with their beauty made me glad

                        Yet made me sigh, thy too soon death, Alas !

                        Like “Sita” and “Our Casuarina Tree”

                        Like “Savitri” and “Uma” you too

                        Survive forever: thy poetry grew

                        From glory to glory with smooth movement free

                  My eyes that touched thy book turned misty and cold

                 We owe you, Tender Muse, immortal realms of gold!

                                 ********************************************

         14th February, 2017                                Somaseshu Gutala

   
Note :
                                       
    "Sita" "Our Casuarina Tree" etc.  are famous poems found in 

Toru Dutt's collection " Ancient Ballads and Legends of Hindustan" 

published in 1882 with introduction by the famous critic, Edmund 

Gosse.

No comments:

Post a Comment