Saturday, August 20, 2016

THE TRAVELER'S PARADISE









                                                           I                   

                            With bouncing zeal I started       
                                      A Knapsack hung from my shoulder
                                      With a jolly springy gait               
                                       I took to road -- no goal--
                                       But move on and on till
                                       I go beyond the rim I see
                                       I walked and walked not caring for things  
                                       That came across my long, long way.

                                                          II

                                         The ruddy disc of sun
                                         Turned gold and bright   
                                         It reached its zenith 
                                         Too bright and blazing white
                                         Hot winds swirled round like fire
                                         My feet tasted a burning pain 
                                         My tongue dried up and yet
                                         I dragged my feet on and on
                                         I cared not to wait till morn.

                                                      III

                                          A steep hill blocked my way
                                         I scaled the burning rocks
                                         My heart beat fast and knocked
                                         Against my ribs ; I felt
                                         Forlorn ; I crawled like a beast
                                         To keep going ; I sat at last
                                         Under a dome of marble ;
                                         I felt the cool touch of the floor
                                         As cool as mother's touch  
                                         So smooth and creeping into my blood ;
                                         I lay down there for hours
                                         I thanked my Lord who showed
                                         Me this haven to rest ;
                                         I closed my eyes and blest 
                                         That place and dreamt
                                         Of my place from whence I came :     
                                         No more can I prolong
                                         This aimless, mad pursuit.

                                         






                                                                IV

                                         I turned my back to road
                                         That still went on and on so long
                                         Through innumerable twists and turns
                                         Mocking at my slow, dragging pace ;
                                         Adieu to Road ! I feel content          
                                         To be within my means ;
                                         It's mad to span thy form infinite ;
                                         Adieu ! Boundless bearer of freedom !
                                         I'll go back to my home
                                         And feel the inner peace
                                         Under the shady trees
                                         On the soft lap of lawns           
                                         Viewing the distant glories of the dawn.   
                                           
                                             +++++++++++++++++++++++         
                                                   

  Note : This poem symbolically describes the struggles of a traveler to find his ultimate goal in the external world. In spite of his determined and stubborn efforts he comes to the conclusion that his search for truth in outer world is futile and the real secret lies in peaceful  contemplation. The fountain of peace is actually within his own soul and not in the showy external tempting world.


      20th August, 2016                                                                       Somaseshu Gutala
                                         






  
                                          







             




              

1 comment: